Today, organizations are typically storing unstructured data in file systems and increasingly in object and cloud storage. Cloud and object storage have numerous advantages, particularly with regard to inactive data. This leads to the requirement to migrate or replicate files (e.g. from legacy NAS) to cloud or object storage.
Replication of S3 Cloud and Object Storage
More and more data is stored in cloud and object storage. This has created an underestimated security risk. In most cases, data stored in the cloud or in on-premises object storage is not backed up, as it is believed to be secure. This assumption is negligent and risky. High availability and redundancy as offered by cloud services and object storage products do not protect against human error, ransomware, malware, or technology failure. Thus, also cloud and object data need backup or replication, most appropriately on a separate storage technology, at a different location and in the original format as stored in the cloud and object storage.
PoINT Data Replicator is a software product that provides a solution to both scenarios.
With the File-to-Object replication function of PoINT Data Replicator customers can migrate their file-based data from any file system to any S3 cloud or object storage.
The File-to-Object replication uses the path of the original file path as object key. Therefore, after the replication standard S3 browsers show the same structure as the original file directory.
S3-to-S3 Object Replication
The S3-to-S3 Object replication function of PoINT Data Replicator replicates S3 objects from any S3 capable source to any S3 capable target. The Source and target systems can be public clouds or on-premises object storage.
The Object-to-Object function replicates objects including their metadata between S3 buckets. Source and target buckets can be located on the same system or can be physically different systems providing different storage classes.
PoINT Data Replicator offers extended functions which support the replication process:
- Replicated files/objects are verified by the integrated verification function.
- Each replication process is logged in detail in a protocol for compliance and auditing purposes.
- The replication process is supported by a database to record already replicated files/objects. In case of repeated execution, only new files/objects are replicated.
- Optionally, filters can be specified to restrict the replication process to a subset. E.g., a time filter can be set, so that only files/objects which have a specific age will be replicated.
- File-to-Object and S3-to-S3 Object replication
- Multi-operating systems support
- Optimal throughput due to multi-threading
- Multi-part objects support (configurable part size)
- Support for all mountable file system (e.g. CIFS and NFS)
- Support for all S3 compatible cloud and object stores
Protection of Cloud / Object Storage
A typical use case for PoINT Data Replicator is the protection of cloud or object storage systems. Usually, data stored at public cloud providers or on local object storage is not protected by a backup. Replication of this data to a physically separated S3 bucket protects this data against human error, ransomware, malware, or technology failure. In principle any S3-capable system can be used as target system by PoINT Data Replicator. This can be either an on-premises object storage or an additional cloud storage.
S3 Tape Integration with PoINT Archival Gateway
A tape-based S3 object storage as target system provides an effective and economical solution to protect cloud/object storage. It is strong against malware because tape provides an air gap. The price per TB is low and huge amounts of data can be stored in a small footprint. Additionally, a standardized S3 REST API allows fast storage and restores of large data sets. With PoINT Archival Gateway, a solution of this kind can be implemented. PoINT Archival Gateway is a software product for storing and archiving huge amounts of data on tape media. It is a scalable and highly performant, tape-based S3 object storage. PoINT Data Replicator works together perfectly with PoINT Archival Gateway. Both software products complement each other.
Direct Access to Object Data
As PoINT Archival Gateway provides an object storage for tape, applications and users can directly access replicated data. No long-term retrieval to the original cloud/object storage is necessary.
Independent from Tape Hardware
PoINT Archival Gateway supports a wide range of tape products (loaders and libraries). A list of supported tape systems can be found here.
Benefits and Advantages
- Migration from legacy file systems to modern object storage
- Protection of cloud and object store data
- Integration of tape by PoINT Archival Gateway
- Protection against ransomware, malware, human error, or technology failure
- Direct S3 access to replicated data on the target system
- S3-capable systems
- File systems mountable by host running PoINT Data Replicator
- S3-capable systems
You can find information about the system requirements here.