70 percent of the data held by the Bavarian town of Hof is more than two years old and, because it is no longer used by any employees, is classified as inactive. In order to keep this data from taking up further primary storage space, the local authorities decided to transfer this “cold” data to a secondary system. To do so, they used the PoINT Storage Manager. This software product does its job by automatically distinguishing between active and inactive data, moving the latter type within a two-tier storage structure. As a result, the town is now using its available storage space more efficiently.
"As a result, the PoINT Storage Manager does exactly what we want, transparently moving more than two-thirds of the total data off our primary storage units. No alternative came close, since the biggest advantage with PoINT Software is that the user doesn’t even notice all of this."
- Gerd Schmidt, Head of Technology at the Hof local authority
- No change to users’ workflows
- “Cold” data automatically transferred
- Lower costs thanks to reduced load on primary storage
Solution - PoINT Storage Manager
- Read access without the need to restore
- Automatic rules-based file tiering
- Transparent access to relocated files and data from the primary storage system
- Less data stored on the primary tier
- Fast and easy installation and administration
- Strong investment protection and optional add-ons